oh my goodness. Yesterday a very strange man knocked on my door. (Stillman calls him Bozo the clown) He asked me if we would be home this evening so they could clean one room in my house. As I was wanting to borrow a carpet cleaner from someone I said sure, knowing full well that we would have to stand our ground and not purchase their product, but like I said I wanted my carpet cleaned. He was quite surprised how many women he was finding at home while their husbands were at work. " I feel like I am on Wisteria Walk" he says. "Welcome to Idaho." I say.
OH my gosh!!! they would not leave. Their demonstration took Two hours. halfway through both kids were in desperate need to be taken to bed. I finally left Stillman downstairs and put Jayden to bed. Maybe it wouldn't have taken so long if she didn't include her little antidotes about, her kids, her weight loss, and her sex toys! That right! you read that right. (fingers in ears, lalalalalalalala, don't get a mental picture!!!) After her demonstration she asks us about buying the vacuum and we politely tell her we can't afford a $2700.00 Vacuum and that our Bissle will just have to do. So then her boss (Bozo) comes back in to hard sell us, and hard sell us he did. He would not stop. No matter how many ways Stillman told him that we simply could not afford monthly payments right now but if he would like to give us the thing for free we would gladly take it. Here are some of my favorite pitches he gave us
"Don't you think your wife deserves a Vacuum that will keep her house clean."
"What would you have told your wife, if 51/2 years ago she told you that she would marry you if you bought her two Vacuums." - (Stillman said he would have told me that I was crazy.)
"Would you drive a car that was old and run down and not performing well." (if we didn't have the money yes we would, we did.)
So beware! Don't let this clown in your house no matter how much the Vacuum sucks. By the way it is a good vacuum because despite their worst efforts I liked the vacuum.
12 comments:
OMGoodness, I KNOW!!! Those vacuum salesmen are horrid. When Hubby & I were in our house, we had a couple come by, and not only did their vac not get much out of our floor after they'd vacuumed with ours (which puzzled them and kind of stole their thunder); but when we told them (a million times) that we couldn't afford it - and no, we didn't want to sell another one to "earn credit" toward ours, the one guy kept muttering about how we must not care whether our carpet was clean or whether we were leaving dirt and poisons in it. Yes, poisons. He was very offended, LOL. (Incidentally, I believe he was offended because *he* was "earning credit" toward the one he'd agreed to purchase, LOL.)
But I think sex toys are a WAAAAY worse sales pitch, LOL. At least it doesn't induce much guilt when kicking them out, LOL! Kudos to you! ;-)
Don't cha just love door to door salesmen!???
WOW, sex toys huh? What was his/her name again?
LOL JUST KIDDING!!
The same thing happened to us. Told us they were just going to clean one room of carpet so I thought it would be great. Then it turned out to be them trying to sell the vacuum. And well, that time they sucked us in, but not until we got the price way down. I love my vacuum now but I will never do that again either!
Uh my word- salesmen. They drive me crazy! I am glad you had Stillman there to help you stand your ground. If it had been me at home without Jon I probably would have given in just to get them out of my house!
I had a sister in my ward share an experience like this, but the sales lady was at her house for 4 hours, and even enjoyed dinner with them cause she wouldn't leave, and Kami is nice like that.
I would love to have someone clean my carpet, but I don't think that I would let someone in my house to clean when they knocked. It blows my mind how persistant these people are. When they were kids, did their parents ever tell them no, and they left it at that?
Don't ever let them come over unless you intend to buy a vacuum -it's just too much trouble. And if they offer any free goodies as incentive - it's not worth it!
OH I knew that they were selling the vacuum. Stillman and I are pretty good at saying no, even to the really low prices. but I have never seen a salesman this bad.
THis is why I don't like to answer my door. However I would like my carpets cleaned. I think I would have said somthing like. Ok we have to head out to that(enter something important)and started packing everyone up to leave. What are they going to do? Stay there? If they tried you could always say well I could call the cops and ask them to remove you.
This reminds me of the friends episode when the encyclopedia salesmen tells Joey he can have all the books for $1200 and he says "You think I have $1200? I'm home in the middle of the day and I have patio furnature in my living room. I guess somethings you don't get from book learning."
hahahaha. I quoted Joey as soon as they left.
Hey go look at my friends Matt and Kaitlin on my blog links. She went to Forks with her sisters and posted a bunch of cool pictures.
Oh yes, we know those types of salesmen. We had this vacuum salesman once who promised to give us the vacuum for free if we could guess how many pounds it was (being light was one of the "advantages" of this vacuum). My guess was way off, but Derek guessed right! And HE DIDN'T GIVE IT TO US FOR FREE! We were stunned! He said we needed to guess the ounces too. Brother! So we were pretty peeved. Then of course it too him HOURS to finally leave even when we kept saying no. And when he finally told us the price I just burt out laughing. There was NO WAY I was going to spend that much on a vacuum! But at least he didn't bring up sex toys or stay for dinner! Sheesh!
LOL Looks like everyone has suffered through the vaccuum demo. We got suckered the first time and suffered with the 2 hour demo and the ocnstant nagging to buy the vaccuum. He even wet down to 1200 bucks before we finally got him out of the house.
Now when those sales people come buy I let them in, tell them I am gald to have my carpet cleaned if they wont give me their speach and then get out. It usually works and I get a room cleaned for free.
They get credit just for getting into homes and cleaning a room so most of the time they are ok with that and come in and clean tha carpet and leave. Of course they try a little bit to get me to buy it but they don't push.
Post a Comment