Stillman went to a priesthood meeting on Sunday night. He was telling me about Elder Keller's talk on testimonies. He told of an experience He had about attending the temple, and then proceeded from that story into his testimony. He was teaching the correct way to share a testimony.
While lying in bed tonight I was thinking why don't I ever turn my experiences into testimonies. And then an experience came to mind. I thought, why didn't I share that experience today during church. Well I'll tell you why, It is hard to hear the spirit promptings when you are trying to teach a three year old to be reverent "Or we are going to go out into the hall for a time out."
So I thought to myself. I can share it next month. No, I'll forget to. I should write it down in a journal. I don't keep a journal. But I do keep a blog, And people read my blog, so I can also share my testimony with it. So hear it is. At one O'clock in the morning.
Mom: It is the hardest thing I have ever done. It taxes my strength and patience. I used to think I would be really good at it. I was a good babysitter, I helped my mom with my younger brother, I worked in many a daycare. It is nothing compared to having their futures completely in your hands and their lives your responsibility. I will never judge another mother when I see filthy, boogery kids. I now know that their noses were just wiped a million times. Their jackets were washed the day before. This morning they were bathed, dressed in clean clothes, and in a short hour the boogery graham cracker mess is the end result. They are warm and fed. Good Mom.
Some days I wonder what my Heavenly Father must think of me when I have just thrown a grownup size tantrum because my three year old won't put his coat and shoes on and my 9 mo old won't hold still while I change his diaper. So I lock myself in the laundry room to just get a little peace and quite. (see you're not the only one) My Time Out. When I come out Alex is in his shoes and he too has tears running down his face, with a hug and kiss for me. I got my answer tonight of what my Father thinks of me.
The other day Alex asked if he could have a Doritos chip. I asked him how much of his lunch he ate. He holds his little fist up indicating zero and says "all of it". "Are you lying?" I asked. Up until a few months ago, you could ask him anything and only the truth would come out. Lately the line between truth and fib has become somewhat fuzzy. However this particular day he says "No, I don't lie. Because I follow the Prophet." I am amazed and pleased. "Where did you learn that?" I asked. "From Jesus." Feeling so pleased with my little guy, a whispering of the spirit says, You are not the only parent pleased this day. Feeling the truth behind this statement I sat in awe thinking about how Heavenly Father truly does love his little children.
Tonight the brethren were challenged to give their wives a blessing. Stillman asked if he could give me a priesthood blessing. I don't think he realized how much I needed it. everything he said was what I needed to hear. I truly believe this blessing set the mode for my next bit of inspiration that hit me just moments ago. While lying in bed thinking of this sweet moment I had with my children the Holy Ghost whispered to me a correction. He said. No, Michelle the child he was pleased in, was You, for teaching Alex.
In the November Conference ensign there is a talk given by the Young Woman's president. In it she says that she has a plate that says with Heavenly Father's help, we can do hard things. She said she would like to change that to say With Heavenly Father's help we can do all things. I would like to bare my testimony that I know Heavenly Father is mindful of our strengths and weaknesses and that when I call upon him I can do hard/all things. Including having more patience with my children. Whenever I take the time to ask for his help He freely gives it. My day goes smoother, and I notice how truly good my kids are. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
6 comments:
AMEN! That was beautiful Michelle! Thanks for sharing. I know how difficult it is trying to raise children, especially trying to help strengthen their testimonies when their's only one of you working for them in that regard. I use to feel like the biggest failure as a mother (and sometime still do) but it is so true that with Heavenly Father's help "WE CAN DO ALL THINGS". My job is not over just because they are raised. But now I have someone who helps me, prays for them with me, sets an example for good and I am so grateful for that. Hang in there! You both are doing a super job! God Bless YOU!
AMEN Sister Norton! (",) Sundays are truly great! It teaches us so many things that we fail to see before our very eyes on a day to day basis. I feel so much inspiration through testimonies said by... you and the others I heard yesterday... even with the testimony I mentioned about in my blog. It strengthens my spirits and lets me know that, when our day comes (to have a child) Heavenly Father will bless us with Patience (which he is already teaching me, coz I want one now) Kindness (another that I must say is hard to have with my hubby and my continuous nagging to have one) and to rely on our Heavenly Father (I know that our time will come... I must leave it in his hands)... thanks for sharing you testimony Michelle.
Amen! :-) *sniffle* It is truly amazing how Heavenly Father finds these ways to let us know He's aware of us and loves us. Thank you so much for sharing. :-)
Wonderful blog entry. Thanks so much for sharing your story/testimony. It is comforting to know that as parent's we share in the same struggles. We don't have to ever be embarrassed and it reminds us to not judge others as well. The other day my neighbor and her kids needed to come hang at my house after church cause they locked their keys in the house and had to wait for a locksmith to come. It was quite embarrassing because our kitchen was a mess. 2 days w/o doing the dishes really piles up. She told me about how her mother in law came over unexpectedly and her kitchen was a mess and she helped her clean it. We don't have to be embarrassed - it happens to all of us. You just clean up a room and vacuum it and within a hour it's a mess again (toys, food crumbs, etc.) But hey that's just parenthood. I've been thinking about this a lot too. It's not important if our houses are spotless all the time. It's more important that our kids are nurtured and happy and it's also important to take time for ourselves too. "If Momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy". And all those hugs and kisses and smiles and moments when you realize they've learned something really important from you makes it all worth it.
What a great blog entry. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. :)
thanks shell, I know I don't have kids or anything but I truly think that you are a wonderful mom and do great things with your children. And I only hope that one day when I have kids I can be half the mom that you and cricket are. I love you shell
Post a Comment